Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Down East Brewing Adventure

Going to a bridal shower is not necessarily what you would call a fun weekend. Fortunately, the bride and other bridesmaids are a blast and love good beer. There were so many new brews to experience. When we went to dinner in Maine (a very short jaunt from Portsmouth, NH), I had one of the local beers, but failed to get the name of it. Shame on me.

When we returned to New Hampshire, I tried the Lobster Ale from Shipyard Brewery. It was good beer. It had a nice character. Mostly, I tried it because I liked the name.

As the night moved on, I started drinking the Red Hook Long Hammer IPA. You might ask, isn't Red Hook a Seattle-based company. Well, I asked the same question. It is, but apparently, Long Hammer is batched brewed in Kittery, ME. OK, so it wasn't local, but it was fresh. As you know, I really like the IPA style and enjoyed this beers great finish and smooth taste.

The next day, I moved onto the local brews from Smutty Nose Brewing. As you might have guess, I first tried the IPA. Then I moved onto the Portsmouth Lager. It was "awarded best Vienna/Marzen larger in the Northeast" and it was a well deserved title.

The Bridal party sat on the water's edge at an area the locals call the Decks. We were at a bar named Harpoon Willy's. We got the corner spot on the deck and proceeded to drink Smutty Nose until the sun went down.

New England is indeed a great place!

No comments: