Monday, July 2, 2007

Cornholooza 2007

So I managed to make it through Friday's Corn Hole extravaganza. It started with a session at the Winking Lizard. My beer selection was pretty uneventful with a Stella Artois draft. Of course, it was a solid choice - definitely a good one to enjoy in the sunshine.

Now, I am not a good corn hole player. I am not one of the three Stooges either, but I never seem to be able to win. I just lose my focus. Maybe it is me, but I think maintaining a deep focus on putting a bag of corn into a round hole in a piece of wood is a little over the edge. Then again, those folks with the brooms in curling seems to be able to take themselves seriously.

I usually would launch into a discussion about the similarities between these two sports, but the crucible version is there is beer and boredom involved in the evolution of both.

At any rate, I had some moments of glory at AneLyn's house. I started to catch my groove a bit. It doesn't really matter though because the Cruise Director, Hollow Leg and AneLyn are butt kickers. As well as being trash talkers. The other factor was the Cheerleader's husband. Let's just call him Bill.

Bill is a good corn holer. He was very skeptical of the game at first, but became entranced by it hidden complexity and trash talking allure. That is the thing about corn hole - you might not be good, but if you can talk some trash and get a couple of bags down. Life is good.

As we wrapped up at AneLyn's we headed over to Hollow Leg's for the second leg - pun intended - of our tourney. At this point, the crowd began to swell with the local Corn Holios coming to play. Instead of playing a tourney, as we had the last time, we played game by game free for all.

Now, it might seem very unlike me, but I switched onto water. Why? My birthday was at midnight and I didn't want to wave it in passed out on Hollow Leg's back lawn. Don't worry, I managed to catch up with the multiple rounds of celebration shots.

Summertime and the living is good. Cornholios pack of kids were running around the yard, the dog was merrily chasing the tennis ball, burger and chicken on the grill. It just felt and smelled like summer. No better way to wish you early 30's goodbye.


No comments: