Monday, November 26, 2007

The Holiday Drinking Season

It is true that I did not write a post to ring in the official holiday drinking season. Yes, it starts on Halloween. Think about it. When Halloween hits, all bets are off.

It quickly wanders into Thanksgiving, the mac daddy of all drinking holidays. It is a holiday that is engineered for you get together with friends, have dinner, drink wine and beer, the eats lots of left overs. I think the idea of black Friday isn't just about retailers making boat loads of dough from holiday shoppers, it might be that people are a little hung over or drink so much on Thursday night they black out by Friday.

Here is the thing that is important about the drinking season. First, it provides so many opportunities from Halloween until the New Year to go out and be social. Second, it also provides a chance to try lots of different types of beer, wine or other assorted drinks.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I was in Atlanta. While I was there, I was introduced to Sweetwater Brewing Company. I had the Sweetwater 420 at a local pub when I was in town. This Extra Pale Ale was a great little brew. It is Georgia's equivalent to Great Lakes in Cleveland. Although I do have to say, any beer company would not have a tough time in comparison to the local favorite, Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR).

I have never really enjoyed drinking PBR. People are super loyal to this brand. My brother indicated it was a Southern thing. I guess my neck wasn't red enough to really enjoy it. He said if it is really cold, it tastes better. I commented that it needed to be so could you couldn't taste it.

I will say this for Atlanta, the Guinness was great. Everywhere we went, they managed to pour a good glass of the black stuff. Apparently, the bartenders in the Peach Tree State are well versed in the pouring technique necessary for a good pint.

Well, the holidays are underway (as you can tell by the Christmas decorations that have popped up everywhere). The holiday ales have made their appearance . . . and I love it.

Now, the only thing to really worry about it the amount of time I need to exercise to stave off the inevitable holiday sludge that manages to attach itself to my body during the days of eating, drinking and being merry.

Does the walking during a bar tour constitute as exercise?

No comments: